How To Build Killer Shoulders?
If there is one muscle group which I truly love over all others (ok, may be not the abs) it would have to be the shoulders. The reason why, is because once you have built great shoulders, you will look good regardless of your frame or the clothes that you wear. This is great for guys who suffer from (I really do have muscles), and as I have stated before, most of you really do workout so that you are noticed by others.
Many of you probably are familiar with shoulder exercises to do at home or at the gym. But I’ll describe the exercises that have worked for myself over the years, without the use of any supplements, which gave me KILLER SHOULDERS!
Shoulder muscles ‘Deltoids’
When I hit the gym I usually try to start with this exercise. It’s a killer shoulders exercise because you have to use your own body weight, but once you master it, you will prove to yourself that you really have increased your strength.
- Raise yourself up to an initial position with your arms extended and supporting the entire weight of your body.
- Next, lower yourself to a final position where your elbows are bent and your shoulders are mildly stretched.
- Then use your arms to push yourself upwards to the initial position.
Wide Grip Pull-ups (with a dipping belt)
Target muscles: Posterior (rear), Latissimus Dorsi (lower back)
This is another strength testing exercise, but once mastered, add a dipping belt for a more challenging exercise. It primarily targets your lower back, but does also work the shoulders.
- Allow your body to hang from the bar with your arms straightened.
- Then pull yourself upward so that your chest nearly touches the bar and your chin is over the bar.
Barbell Upright Row
Target Muscles: All, but mainly Anterior (Front), Back
I never used to include this in my workouts in the beginning, but then I realised that if you want great looking shoulders then you must work them on all dimensions. This primarily targets the front shoulders.
- Place your hands no more than six inches apart on the bar.
- Pull the bar to just underneath your chin, allowing the elbows to flare out as wide as possible.
Dumbbell Side Raise
This is my all time favourite weights assisted shoulder exercise. No matter how many times I perform, or how good I get at this exercise, it is always a challenge. But stick at it and this will give you a fine set of shoulders!
- In correct posture, stand with your legs spaced shoulder width apart.
- Keep your abdominal muscles tight, knees bent and chest relaxed.
- Slightly in front of your sides lift the weight directly up, while focusing on your shoulders.
- Stop when your elbow joints are in a straight line with your shoulders and reverse the motion down.
- Under control, lower the weight, stop when your arms slightly touch your sides and reverse the motion.
Muscles worked: Anterior (Front)
This is similar to the side raise exercise, but instead you place the dumbbells horizontally, one on each thigh. I actually find this one more of a challenge than side raise exercise, but keep this up and the results will come.
(With both raises it is highly advisable that you start off with lightweights)
There are other exercises you can use to build your shoulders, but these ones work quite well. Try to alternate these exercises on different days of your weekly workout schedule. Keep that up and I can almost guarantee that you will achieve some serious results along with KILLER SHOULDERS!
What exercises have worked for you?
See you in the comments
Incoming search terms:
- dips exercise (360)
- killer shoulder workout (346)
- dumbbell (219)
- killer shoulders (132)
- killer shoulder workout for mass (77)
- Dumbbell Front Raise (76)
- how to get killer shoulders (74)
- standing dumbbell front raise (67)
- front raise (65)
- front raises (50)